24/365 – Exploring Montreal/Villa Maria

An entrance from another era it is indeed. Villa Maria first belonged to the Des Carryes (Décarie) family and was purchased in 1795 by James Monk, chief justice of Lower Canada.

In 1854 the Sisters of the “Congregation de Notre-Dame” acquired the property and transformed it into a pair of  girls’ schools, one French and one English.

Today Villa Maria is still an all girls’ school where education is provided for both the English and French sectors of Montreal.

24/365 - Villa Maria